BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Sitting and Waiting

What should have been 4th of July fireworks with bright colorful balls of fire and loud booms, were actually lightening strikes illuminating the entire sky and loud claps of thunder and the sound of tornado sirens in every direction. Because of the tornado warning, and partially because I live on the 2nd floor of an apartment with no basement, I decided it would be best to stay at the college campus where the fireworks were being held. We went into the gym to wait it out. But what was supposed to be a 20 minute wait, turned into an hour when the tornado warning got extended. 


What was my reaction? Well, it definitely wasn't the best one. My husband got crabby because he was tired, and I allowed his negativity to feed mine. It was humid and hot in this building with no AC, and it was 90 degrees outside. I allowed this to feed my negativity further. And when that warning got extended, I was just furious. I wanted to go home. They had cancelled the fireworks and there was no reason for me to be there. That's what I thought anyways. 

When I got home I kept hearing a song playing over and over in my head, and it's actually still doing it. I haven't even heard this song in forever, but I wanted to share it with you.

My point here is that, God was telling me, here you are, you are waiting through this storm, yet you are choosing to wait it out with anger and annoyance, instead of patience. I realized that this was true of many storms of this life. I wait them out in annoyance and impatience. I want answers now. Yet God tells us to wait in his word. Psalm 27:14 says "Wait for the Lord, be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." If we patiently and worshipfully wait out the metaphoric storms of life, and we trust in God and follow Him, then he is going to lead us carefully and safely through them. 

Relying on God in a storm is like wearing a suit of rubber. I know it sounds weird, but hear me out. Rubber is going to keep the rain off, and it offers an even greater protection, it doesn't conduct electricity, which means we aren't going to be hurt by the random lightening strikes. Not having God, not waiting it out with Him, and we might as well walk through a storm with a lightening rod, because we aren't going to make it without Him anyways.

0 comments: